His practice includes advising clients about all aspects of US, foreign and international intellectual property rights; filing and prosecuting US and international patent and trademark applications, and US copyright applications; representing clients (working with the firm’s litigation practice group) in proceedings before US federal courts, the US Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and the US Patent Trial and Appeal Board; and filing and prosecuting (through an extensive network of foreign correspondents) foreign patent and trademark applications, and prosecuting and defending opposition and cancellation proceedings before the patent and trademark offices of many of the major industrialized countries in the World.
Martin has been listed in Best Lawyers in America for 25 years, and is also listed in Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers and Who’s Who in American Law. He has given addresses on intellectual property matters to groups as diverse as the American Bar Association Business Law Section, United States Trademark Association, the Chamber of Commerce of Hawai`i, the Rotary Club, Innovation workshops sponsored by US Department of Energy, the National Association of Paralegals, a third grade class studying inventions, as well as major colleges and universities, and other organizations.
- Best Lawyers of America®, 25 years
- Best Lawyers®, Lawyer of the Year 2012
- Who’s Who in American Law
- IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property, 2015
- Super Lawyers List, Intellectual Property, Entertainment & Sports, 2008 – 2013, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rated Preeminent®, 20 years
- J.D. (1981), Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude
- B.A. (1978), Brown University, with honors
- Hawai`i State Bar (1981)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawai`i (1981)
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2001)
- US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (1990)
- US Patent and Trademark Office (1986)
- Hawai`i State Bar Association (Intellectual Property and Technology Section, past Chair)
- American Bar Association
- Patent and Trademark Office Society
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
- Licensing Executives Society
- Computer Law Association
- International Referral, IP Trademark & Copyright Exclusive Member
- “Intellectual Property: What Every Business Must Know”, © 2015 Martin Hsia.
- “The Supreme Court’s Intellectual (Property) Year: A Whirlwind Tour”, Hawai`i Bar Journal October 2014, p. 26.
- “Technological Revolution and Patent Law Evolution (Or Devolution?): The Recent Weakening of Patents”, 14 Hawai`i Bar Journal (No. 13) 117 (2011).
- March 18, 2016, ACM Western States Region Conference, “Intellectual Property, Copyright and Fair Use in Media”
- August 8, 2015, Honolulu Community College, 2015 Small Business Fair, “Patents, Copyrights & Trademarks” (co-presenter with Keri Ann K.S. Krzykowski)
- June 1, 2015, Hawai`i State Bar Association “Intellectual Property 101” A 101 CLE Series Seminar
- February 21, 2015, Leeward Community College, Spring 2015 Small Business Fair, “Copyrights, Patents & Trademarks” (co-presenter with Keri Ann K.S. Krzykowski)
- September 18, 2014, University of Hawai`i College of Engineering lunch seminar on intellectual property rights
- Legal Advice in Paradise podcast episodes 7 and 9:
- Interview with Showcase Hawai`i (segment begins at 14:30)
December 16, 2016 - Cyber Security Seminar – January 25, 2017
September 27, 2016 - Cades Schutte Honors Zippy’s 50th Anniversary
August 15, 2016 - 28 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2017
August 17, 2015 - 28 Cades Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers of America® 2016
July 23, 2015 - Patents, Copyrights and Trademarks Workshop