Cheryl is an associate in the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Department, the Trusts and Estates Department and Tax Department at Cades Schutte. She joined the firm in 2015.
Cheryl obtained her B.B.A. in accounting, with distinction, from the University of Hawai‘i Shidler College of Business. She received her M.B.T. from the University of Southern California Leventhal School of Accounting, and her J.D. from the University of Southern California Gould School of Law with a Certificate in Business Law. As a law student, she served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Derrick H.M. Chan, Circuit Court of the First Circuit, State of Hawai‘i. She was also the recipient of a USC Law Merit Scholarship and served as a Production Editor of the Southern California Review of Law and Social Justice.
Prior to attending law school, Cheryl worked in public accounting, focusing on audit at Grant Thornton and tax at CW Associates. She is also licensed as a CPA in Hawai`i (not in public practice).
- Advised employers with regards to compensation and retirement planning matters, deferred compensation arrangements (409A), 401(k) and profit sharing plans, defined benefit plans, and ESOPs.
- Assisted with drafting estate plans ranging from simple to complex to meet client needs.
- Successfully drafted private letter rulings to request a determination of an active trade or business in real estate for S-Corporations.
- Prepared tax returns for all types of business entities as well as individuals. Prepared accounting books to bring business clients up-to-date and within compliance.
- Audited various entities including non-profits, government organizations, and for profit businesses.
- J.D. (2015), Certificate in Business Law, University of Southern California Gould School of Law
- M.B.T. (2015), University of Southern California Leventhal School of Accounting
- B.A. Accounting (2007), University of Hawai‘i Shidler College of Business, with distinction
- Hawai`i State Bar (2015)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawai`i (2015)
- Certified Public Accountant (not in public practice) (2012)
- Hawai`i State Bar Association (2015)
- Beta Gamma Sigma International Honor Society (2014)
- Lecturer of Law at the University of Hawai`i at Manoa, Richardson School of Law, Law 550, Corporate & Partnership Tax, Spring 2016.
October 16, 2015 - Cades Welcomes Three New Associates