Originally from Windward Oahu, Rick practiced law in Honolulu for ten years before starting a successful practice on Maui in 2001. Working on the neighbor-islands has given him uniquely broad experience and expertise.
Since the 1990s, Rick has focused on resort, condominium, commercial and subdivision developments. He regularly acts as lead counsel for some of the largest developments in the State, and understands the complex, interdisciplinary work needed to make a project a success.
Rick also has extensive experience with sophisticated real estate transactions, including financings and the purchase and sale of hotels, golf courses, projects, homes and land.
Most importantly, Rick is known for being practical and for his ability to get things done.
- Lead counsel on the development of a 43-story residential condominium in Honolulu that was completed in 2016.
- Principal attorney for the master developer of a large, master planned resort community in West Maui for over 20 years.
- Lead counsel on the development of a luxury condominium development on the south shore of Kauai scheduled for completion in 2017.
- Representation of the master developer of the largest resort community in south Maui.
- Head of the team handing one of the largest master-planned light-industrial and commercial developments in Hawaii.
- Lead counsel for a 70-unit resort condominium in south Maui that broke ground in 2016.
- Lead counsel for 49-lot rural residential subdivision in Upcountry Maui.
- Lead counsel on sale of large, fully-entitled residential project on Maui.
- Lead counsel on purchase of Waikiki hotel.
- Counsel to construction lender on high-end Honolulu residential condominium.
- Lead counsel on complex joint venture for development of mixed-use Maui project.
- Lead counsel on sale of Kauai subdivision development.
- Lead counsel to ground lessors of renewable energy projects.
Awards and Rankings
Rick has an “AV® Preeminent™” Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is currently listed in Best Lawyers in America®, the Chambers USA Client’s Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business®, and Super Lawyers®. Best Lawyers® designated Rick as the Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate in Hawai`i for 2012.
- Member, Hawaii State Bar Association, 1991 to present.
- Member and Chair (2001), Real Property & Financial Services Section, Hawaii State Bar Association, 1995 to present.
- Member, Maui County Bar Association.
- Member, Hawaii Real Estate Commission’s Blue Ribbon Recodification Advisory Committee (principal drafters of Hawaii’s 2006 Condominium Act).
- Co-Editor, Hawaii Real Estate Law Manual (3rd Edition, forthcoming)
- Author, Purchase Money Mortgages, Chapter 7, Hawaii Conveyancing Manual (4th Edition, 1999, & 5th Edition`, 2010)
- J.D. (1991), University of California Davis School of Law
Articles Editor, U.C. Davis Law Review (1990-1991)
- B.A. (1987), University of California Irvine
- State of Hawaii and United States District Court for the District of Hawaii, 1991.
August 15, 2016 - 28 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2017
August 17, 2015 - 28 Cades Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers of America® 2016
January 1, 2013 - Maui Office opens and Rick Kiefer joins the firm