Dana’s background includes private practice experience in civil litigation, and government experience as a Deputy Attorney General in the civil rights litigation division of the State of Hawaii’s Department of the Attorney General.
She graduated from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law in 2008. During her time as a law student, she interned at the United Nations Environment Programme in Paris, France, clerked for the United States Environmental Protection Agency in Denver and also in Washington, DC, and externed with the United Nations Criminal Tribunal for the Rwandan Genocide.
Prior to law school, Dana obtained a Bachelor of Science in Film and Television, with a minor in Psychology from Boston University. She then spent a year as an AmeriCorps Volunteer in the Reno/Tahoe area establishing an outdoor education program for underprivileged children and creating marketing videos and public service announcements about the program.
Dana has tried cases in Kauai, Maui, and Federal District Court, and she has argued before most of the Judges in the state and federal courts. Substantive motions she has prevailed on include motions to dismiss, for summary judgment, for class certification, and for preliminary injunctions. Dana has also contributed to appellate briefs submitted to the Intermediate Court of Appeals, the Hawaii Supreme Court, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
While a passionate litigator and a zealous advocate for her clients, Dana also appreciates the value of alternative dispute resolution, and has extensive experience mediating complex cases.
- Colorado State Bar (2008)
- Hawaii State Bar (2009)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawaii (2009)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (2015)
- J.D. (2008), University of Denver, Sturm College of Law
- B.S. (2003), Boston University,
- Diploma (1999), Punahou School
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Volunteer, Access to Justice Room, Honolulu District Court
- Volunteer, Legal Lines, Hawaii State Bar Association
- Board Member, Hawaii Parkinson Association
December 12, 2017 - Cades Helps Ready Kahauiki Village
January 3, 2017 - Dana A. Barbata Joins Cades Schutte