John’s practice focuses on real estate acquisitions, sales, and financing transactions, development of residential, resort and commercial projects (including condominium and mixed-use project development), state and federal subdivision registrations, and commercial leasing.
He received his B.A., with distinction, from Yale University and earned his law degree,cum laude, from Northwestern University School of Law. As a law student, he served as Associate Editor of the Northwestern University Law Review.
In 2018, John was appointed to the Hawaii Real Estate Commission by Governor Ige. John has been recognized inBest Lawyers in America in the area of Real Estate Law, and has been named as a “Rising Star” by Hawaii Super Lawyers each year since 2014. He serves on the Board of the Real Property and Financial Services Section of the Hawaii State Bar Association, the Honolulu Chamber Music Series, and the Albert T. and Wallace T. Teruya Foundation. John is also an enthusiastic member of the Oahu Civic Orchestra.
John is a co-author of the “Overview of Hawaii Commercial Leasing Practice: General Provisions” chapter of the Hawaii Real Estate Manual, Volume IV, and the “Managing Commercial Real Estate Leases” chapter of the Practical Law Company’s Real Estate Law Surveys.
Awards and Honors
- Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars
- Hawaii State Bar Association Leadership Institute (2014)
- Best Lawyers in America, since 2019
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, cum laude
- B.A., Yale University, with distinction
- Hawaii State Bar (2010)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawaii
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Opinion Committee of the Real Property and Financial Services Section of the Hawaii State Bar Association
- Vice President, Honolulu Chamber Music Series
- Director, Albert T. and Wallace T. Teruya Foundation
- Member, Oahu Civic Orchestra
- Board Member, Real Property and Financial Services Section of the Hawaii State Bar Association
- Commissioner, Real Estate Commission, State of Hawaii
- Overview of Hawaii Commercial Leasing Practice: General Provisions, Hawaii Real Estate Manual, Volume IV (co-author)
- Managing Commercial Real Estate Leases, Real Estate Law Surveys, Practical Law Company (co-author)
- Opinion Letter With Hawaii Commentary, Opinion Committee of the Real Property and Financial Services Section of the Hawaii State Bar Association (co-author)
- Real Estate Transactions 101, Hawaii State Bar Association CLE 101 Series Seminar, 2015 (Presenter)
- Opinion Letters: A Comprehensive Overview, 2014 Hawaii State Bar Convention (panelist)
- Hawaii Commercial Leasing Practice: General Provisions, 2013 Hawaii State Bar Convention (panelist)
August 21, 2018 - The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 Recognizes 34 Cades Schutte Attorneys
December 12, 2017 - Cades Helps Ready Kahauiki Village