Environmental Law and Litigation
Attorneys in our Environmental Law Group counsel clients on the myriad of federal, state and local environmental laws and regulations impacting their lives, assets and businesses. Our clients include owners, operators, buyers, lessees and lenders involved with real property in Hawai`i. The Group is composed of a team of attorneys from the Finance and Real Estate and Litigation departments.
- Compliance and Permits
- Environmental Assessments and Environmental Impact Statements
- Environmental litigation
- Hazardous Materials Reports, Agreements and Assessment
Our environmental practice includes the following:
- Assistance with compliance and transactions;
- Assistance in compliance with hazardous waste and solid waste management laws and regulations;
- Assistance in compliance with underground storage tank management, removal, and reporting requirements;
- Assistance in compliance with air and water quality management laws and regulations;
- Assistance with environmental permit applications and transfers;
- Assistance in compliance with spill prevention control and countermeasures regulations;
- Land use, permitting and environmental impact review;
- Assistance with obtaining and reviewing environmental assessments;
- Negotiation and documentation of agreements concerning allocation of environmental liability in mergers and acquisitions, real property transfers, financing and leasing transactions;
- Contractual liability for environmental issues;
- Insurance coverage for claims of environmental contamination;
- Advice concerning minimizing environmental liability of lenders and fiduciaries
Civil environmental litigation under federal and state statutes
- Clean Water Act
- Clean Air Act
- Superfund (CERCLA)
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Underground Storage Tank Regulations
- Oil Pollution Act
- Solid Waste Management Act
- Coastal Zone Management Act
State of Hawai`i Environmental Regulatory Agency and OSHA Regulations
- Representation of a member of a Superfund group formed to address the clean-up of the Honolulu Harbor area under the Oil Pollution Act and state environmental laws.
- Representation of private parties in CERCLA and state environmental contribution actions.
- Representation of oil companies in connection with regulatory compliance.
- Representation of clients against the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act claims.
- Representation of companies in connection with the hazardous waste disposal and storage laws and regulations.
- Representation of contractors in connection with lead-based paint and asbestos issues.
- Representation of companies in the negotiation of environmental indemnity agreements.
- Representation of companies in the negotiation of environmental insurance policies and obtaining of insurance coverage for environmental claims.
November 1, 2017 - Cades Schutte Named “Best Law Firm” by Best Lawyers® 2018
August 15, 2017 - 32 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2018
July 25, 2017 - Cades Schutte Welcomes Mallory T. Martin to the Firm
June 1, 2017 - Cades Schutte Welcomes Frank Cioffi to the Firm
November 1, 2016 - Cades Schutte Named a Best Lawyers® 2017 “Best Law Firm”
August 15, 2016 - 28 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2017