Insurance Defense and Professional Liability
Our insurance defense and professional liability practice group has extensive experience in representing both insured and insurers in matters ranging from medical, legal, and architectural errors and omissions to construction, product liability, aviation and maritime torts, and other personal injury matters, including the representation of insurers in coverage and bad faith matters.
Members of the group regularly represent a wide variety of clients, including domestic and foreign insurers and corporations, including several Fortune 500 companies.
The representation of these clients takes place in both state and federal courts, not only in Hawai`i, but throughout the United States Mainland and occasionally in other countries in the Asia-Pacific region. Members of the group represent these clients not only in court proceedings, but before administrative agencies, as well as other alternative dispute forums.
Members of the group have received state, national and international recognition including listings in the Best Lawyers in America® and Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
- Directors and Officers Liability and Other Professional Negligence
- Insurance Coverage
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury Defense
- Products Liability Defense
- Has represented insurers and policy holders in declaratory judgment actions filed in both state and federal courts
- Has advised insurers and policy holders on coverage issues arising under General Liability, Homeowner’s, Automobile, Professional Errors and Omissions, Directors and Officers, and other forms of insurance coverage
- Has represented insurers as lead counsel in litigation and arbitrations involving tort, contract, and bad faith claims
- Reported decisions on cases Mr. Olson worked on include CIM Ins. Corp. v. Masamitsu, 74 F. Supp.2d 975 (D. Hawai`i. 1999), CIM Ins. Corp. v. Midpac Auto Center, Inc., 108 F. Supp.2d 1092 (D. Haw. 2000), Pacific Employers Ins. Co. v. Servco Pacific, Inc., 273 F. Supp.2d 1149 (D. Haw. 2003), State Farm Mut. Auto Ins. Co. v. GTE Hawai`ian Tel. Co., Inc., 81 Haw. 235, 915 P.2d 1336 (1996), Federal Home Loan Mortg. Corp. v. Transamerica Ins. Co., 89 Haw. 157, 969 P.2d 1275 (1998), Del Monte Fresh Produce (Hawai`i), Inc. v. Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co., 117 Haw. 357, 183 P.3d 734 (2007)
Legal Malpractice Defense
- Has represented attorneys and law firms in the defense of actions involving claims for legal malpractice, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties
- Has represented and advised attorneys regarding claims involving alleged violations of the Hawai`i Code of Professional Conduct
- Has served as lead counsel for the defense of various manufacturers in product liability litigation brought in federal and state court, including class action litigation
- Has represented a manufacturer in the defense of a false labeling class action suit filed in federal court
Personal Injury Defense
- As insurance appointed counsel has represented insureds in the defense of wrongful death, negligence and other tort litigation and arbitrations
November 1, 2017 - Cades Schutte Named “Best Law Firm” by Best Lawyers® 2018
August 15, 2017 - 32 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2018
November 1, 2016 - Cades Schutte Named a Best Lawyers® 2017 “Best Law Firm”
August 15, 2016 - 28 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2017