As Chair of the Trust and Estates Department at Cades Schutte, Rhonda’s practice encompasses advising clients as to all areas of estate planning, from basic wills and trusts to more sophisticated planning such as generation-skipping dynasty trusts, sales to irrevocable trusts, qualified domestic trusts, charitable gifts, and family limited partnership planning.
Her practice integrates the personal and estate tax planning concerns of individuals with tax and business planning for their closely-held businesses, and other legacy properties. Rhonda works closely with her clients and other advisors to create and implement personally tailored strategies to preserve assets and transmit wealth while minimizing transfer taxes. She advises clients on all aspects of high-net-worth trust administration, including valuation issues, allocation of assets and funding trusts. She is often sought after to counsel on the appropriate use of trusts, partnerships, LLCs and other vehicles to achieve planning goals.
Her significant reputation as a preeminent litigator is based on 30 years of extensive experience in all aspects of estate litigation, including: probate, trust and guardianship litigation and appeals, will and trust contests and cases involving capacity, undue influence, determination of beneficiaries, spousal elective share, estate claims, and breach of fiduciary duty, and claims.
Rhonda also advises fiduciaries and financial institutions in connection with their fiduciary duties, including probate proceedings, state and federal gift tax return preparation and audits, and trust and estate accounting proceedings.
A Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Rhonda is also a court-appointed member on the State of Hawaii Committee on Uniform Probate Code and Probate Court Practices. She was selected by her peers to be included in Best Lawyers in America since 2003. Rhonda has been listed in Honolulu Magazine’s “Best Lawyers in Hawaii” for the same period. She has a Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review rating of AV (highest level of professional excellence for attorneys admitted to the bar for 10 years or more), and has been identified as one of Hawai‘i’s “Super Lawyers.”
Rhonda is a member of the American Bar Association, the Hawaii State Bar Association, Gift and Estate Tax Section (former Chair), former President and current Director of Hawaii Women’s Legal Foundation, Secretary and Director of the Hawaii Justice Foundation, a Director of the Hawaii State Bar Association, and a Director of the Cades Foundation.
- In re Elizabeth J. K. L. Lucas Charitable Gift, 125 Haw. 351 (2011) (clarifying cy pres doctrine in Hawaii).
- In re Robinson Trust, 110 Haw. 181 (2006) (trust interpretation case).
- In re Medeiros Testamentary Trust & Life Insurance Trust, 105 Haw. 284 (2004) (trust interpretation case).
- In re Estate of Ferdinand Marcos, 88 Haw. 148 (1998) (finding no Hawaii domicile in probate proceeding).
- J.D. (1984), William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii
- B.A., California State University at Chico
Awards and Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers of America® since 2003
- Best Lawyers of America® 2017 Hawaii Lawyer of the Year for Trusts and Estates
- Best Lawyers of America® 2016 Hawaii Lawyer of the Year for Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated, 2019
- Super Lawyers List, Estate Planning & Probate, since 2008
- Hawaii State Bar (1984)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i
- Hawaii State Bar Association (Estate and Probate Section; Elder Law Section; Tax Section)
- American Bar Association (Tax Section; Probate and Trust Section)
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (Current State Chair)
- Committee on Uniform Probate Code and Probate Court Practices (Court Appointed Member)
- Director, Hawaii Women Legal Foundation
- Secretary/Director, Hawaii Justice Foundation
- Director, Hawaii State Bar Association
- Director, Cades Foundation
- Estate Planning Council
- Encyclopedia of Estate Planning, Hawaii State Bar Association (Editor-in-Chief 2007 ed.)
- Hawaii Conservatorship and Guardianship Manual (contributing author 2005 and 2010 Ed.)
- Estate Planning Forms Manual (contributing author, 2000)
- You and the Law in Hawaii, Estate Planning and Probate, Kapi‘olani Community College Television Series (Panelist)
- Hawaii Probate Sourcebook (1992 and 1996 Ed.)
- Rhonda has given numerous seminars and speeches in a wide variety of estate planning and trust administration issues.
November 16, 2018 - Rhonda L. Griswold named 2018 Outstanding Professional Advisor in Philanthropy
September 21, 2017 - Cades Partners to Speak on Family Business Succession Planning
August 15, 2017 - 32 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2018
December 30, 2016 - Cades Volunteers at Institute for Human Services
August 15, 2016 - 28 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2017
March 16, 2016 - Rhonda Griswold to Speak on “Moving to Paradise” and Estate Plans
January 22, 2016 - Estate Planning Seminar by Rhonda Griswold and Stacy Takekawa
August 17, 2015 - 28 Cades Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers of America® 2016
November 1, 2013 - Cades volunteers with The Institute for Human Services Meal Program
November 1, 2013 - VLSH presents first ever Ho`oilian (Legacy) Award to the Cades Foundation
October 24, 2013 - Cades Schutte presents scholarship to Zane Kunimura at Pro Bono Celebration