Rick focuses on resort, condominium, commercial and subdivision developments. He regularly acts as lead counsel for some of the largest developments in the State and understands the complex, interdisciplinary work needed to make a project a success.
Rick also has extensive experience with sophisticated real estate transactions, including financings and the purchase and sale of hotels, golf courses, projects, homes, and land.
Most importantly, Rick is known for being practical and for his ability to get things done.
- Lead counsel on the development of a 43-story residential condominium in Honolulu.
- Principal attorney for the master developer of a large, master-planned resort community in West Maui.
- Head of the team handing one of the largest master-planned light-industrial and commercial developments in Hawai‘i.
- Lead development counsel for a 70-unit resort condominium in the Wailea Resort that was completed in 2018.
- Lead counsel in 2018 on a $262 million sale of a complex, 41,000-acre property.
- Lead counsel on a 2019 sale of large, fully-entitled resort residential project on Maui.
- Lead counsel on a $250 million acquisition of three Hawaii shopping centers.
- Lead counsel on the disposition of a 7-property portfolio of mainland U.S. commercial and industrial properties.
Awards and Rankings
- “AV® Preeminent™” Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Best Lawyers in America® Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate in Hawaii, 2012
- Chambers USA Client’s Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business®
- Member, Hawaii State Bar Association, 1991 to present.
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers.
- Member and Chair (2001), Real Property & Financial Services Section, Hawaii State Bar Association, 1995 to present.
- Member, Maui County Bar Association.
- Trustee, Historic Hawaii Foundation.
- Co-Editor, Hawaii Real Estate Law Manual (3rd Edition)
- Author, Purchase Money Mortgages, Chapter 7, Hawaii Conveyancing Manual (4th Edition, 1999, & 5th Edition, 2010)
- J.D. (1991), University of California Davis School of Law
Articles Editor, U.C. Davis Law Review (1990-1991)
- B.A. (1987), University of California Irvine
- State of Hawaii and United States District Court for the District of Hawaii, 1991
August 15, 2017 - 32 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2018
August 15, 2016 - 28 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2017
August 17, 2015 - 28 Cades Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers of America® 2016
January 1, 2013 - Maui Office opens and Rick Kiefer joins the firm