The purchase, sale, and development of real estate in Hawai‘i continues to thrive even through economic downturns in other areas. Tourism, national and international demand for Hawai‘i residential real estate, and local housing needs have kept Hawai‘i’s real estate market flourishing.
Our attorneys are well recognized as having vast expertise and experience in all aspects of real estate matters. The team has a comprehensive understanding of Hawai‘i’s unique real estate laws. From large landowners and investors to individuals and commercial developers, our team has the expertise to help you in the acquisition, disposition, and leasing of hotels, shopping centers, office buildings, industrial business parks, agricultural properties, and condominium and housing developments.
With some of the most sought-after attorneys for expertise in real estate law, land use, finance, and real property tax law, our attorneys have been lead counsel in many of the state’s largest development transactions.
What We Do
- ADA and Fair Housing Compliance
- Acquisition and Sale of Real Property
- Condominium Development
- Hotel and Resort Development
- Ground Leases
- Land Title
- Low Income Housing Tax Credits
- Real Property Tax Appeals
- Rent Renegotiation and Arbitration
- Retail, Office, and Industrial Leasing
- Subdivision Development and Sales
Acquisitions and Sales
We represent buyers and sellers in all aspects of negotiating and documenting acquisitions and sales of real estate both in Hawai‘i and outside the state.
We prepare condominium documents and handle registrations for projects ranging from commercial and mixed-use properties to residential developments and resort destinations. Members of our group were involved in drafting Hawai‘i’s revised condominium statute. We work closely with our Hospitality and Retail Group in connection with condominium projects for hotel, resort, and time-share projects.
Development and Construction
We advise developers on all types of projects, from residential subdivisions to shopping centers, and from hotels and resorts to industrial parks. We involve members of our Land Use, Zoning, and Entitlements Group, as well as our Construction and Environmental Groups to provide the full spectrum of development-related legal services to our clients. We have expertise in joint development and joint venture agreements for all types of projects.
We have substantial experience with negotiating and drafting ground leases, and have represented and continue to represent parties in some of the state’s largest ground lease transactions.
Title issues in Hawai‘i are unique, and we are able to assist our clients not only with identifying problems during due diligence reviews, but to also solve those problems through negotiations with title companies and insurers, and, with the assistance of our Real Estate Disputes Group, through partition and quiet title actions.
We regularly represent some of the state’s largest landowners in negotiating and preparing office, retail, and other commercial leases. We have developed Internet-based solutions to provide timely and cost-effective services to our leasing clients. We also represent lessees in commercial lease negotiations.
Real Estate Financing
We work with our Finance Group to advise both lenders and borrowers on all aspects of financings involving real estate, including complex construction loans and other types of mortgage loan transactions.
Rent Renegotiation and Arbitration
Together with our Real Estate Disputes Group we bring unparalleled expertise and experience in rent renegotiations and arbitrations.
Tax Credits and Tax Appeals
Drawing on the expertise of our Tax Group, we represent clients in connection with low-income housing tax credits and real property tax appeals.
- Lead counsel for a $350 million+ multiple retail, office, and industrial parcel acquisition.
- Lead counsel for a $370 million+ disposition of multiple shopping centers and office buildings.
- Lead counsel for a $100 million+ vacant land acquisition.
- Lead local real estate counsel for a $200 million+ hotel disposition.
- Lead counsel for a shopping center and office building leases.
- Lead counsel for a big box retail development.
- Lead counsel for tenant lease negotiations in major shopping centers.
- Lead counsel for a water rights documentation.
- Lead counsel for real estate lending compliance programs.