Attorneys in our Environmental Group counsel clients on the myriad of federal, state, and local environmental laws and regulations impacting their lives, assets, and businesses. Our clients include owners, operators, buyers, lessees, and lenders involved with real property in Hawai‘i.
The group is composed of a team of attorneys from the Finance, Real Estate, and Corporate Department and the Litigation Department.
What We Do
- Compliance and Permits
- Environmental Assessments and Environmental Impact Statements
- Environmental Litigation
- Hazardous Materials Reports, Agreements and Assessment
Our environmental practice includes the following:
- Assistance with compliance and transactions;
- Assistance in compliance with hazardous waste and solid waste management laws and regulations;
- Assistance in compliance with underground storage tank management, removal, and reporting requirements;
- Assistance in compliance with air and water quality management laws and regulations;
- Assistance with environmental permit applications and transfers;
- Assistance in compliance with spill prevention control and countermeasures regulations;
- Land use, permitting, and environmental impact review;
- Negotiation and documentation of agreements concerning the allocation of environmental liability in mergers and acquisitions, real property transfers, financing, and leasing transactions;
- Analysis of contractual liability for environmental issues;
- Advice concerning insurance coverage for claims of environmental contamination;
- Advice concerning minimizing the environmental liability of lenders and fiduciaries
We practice civil environmental litigation under numerous federal and state environmental laws, including:
- Clean Water Act
- Clean Air Act
- Superfund (the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act or CERCLA)
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Oil Pollution Act
- Solid Waste Management Act
- Coastal Zone Management Act
- Underground Storage Tank Regulations
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Regulations
- Large Capacity Cesspool Regulations
- Hawai‘i Environmental Policy Act
- Hawai‘i Environmental Review Program (ERP) formerly known as the Office of Environmental Quality Control
- Represented a member of a Superfund group formed to address the clean-up of the Honolulu Harbor area under the Oil Pollution Act and state environmental laws.
- Represented private parties in CERCLA and state environmental contribution actions.
- Represented oil companies in connection with regulatory compliance.
- Represented clients against the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act claims.
- Represented companies in connection with hazardous waste disposal and storage laws and regulations.
- Represented companies against environmental incidents cases.
- Represented companies sued by environmental regulatory agencies.
- Represented contractors in connection with asbestos issues.
- Represented companies in the negotiation of environmental indemnity agreements.
- Represented companies in the negotiation of environmental insurance policies and obtaining insurance coverage for environmental claims.
Calvert G. Chipchase
Stacey F. Gray
Christopher T. Harrison
C. Michael Heihre
Grace Nihei Kido
Keri Ann K.S. Krzykowski
Lindsay N. McAneeley
Craig I. Nakanishi
Kirk M. Neste
Mauna Kea Trask
Roy A. Vitousek III
Keola R. Whittaker