Randy is the resident Partner with the firm’s Hawai‘i Island Offices. He is Chair of the Land Use, Zoning, and Entitlements Group.
Randy’s practice concentrates on real estate development and administrative law (with a focus on oceanfront residential permitting), hospital law (liability and risk management, medical staff issues), employment law, general business and commercial law and litigation, and hotel/hospitality law.
He was a law clerk to Justice H. Baird Kidwell in the Hawai‘i Supreme Court from 1976 to 1977. Randy is the former President of the Hawaii State Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division and the former President of the Hawai‘i Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
Randy taught appellate advocacy as an adjunct professor at the William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai‘i (1980 to 1986) and taught hotel law at the University of Hawai‘i, School of Business, Travel Industry Management (1983 to 1987).
He opened the firm’s Hawai‘i Island Offices in 1987.
- Randy represents individuals and families who purchase land and build homes in coastal or other highly regulated areas, primarily on the islands of Hawai‘i and Kauaʻi
- Randy also represents businesses and investors in purchasing and selling hotel, resort, or development properties
- Mauna Kea Community Association
- Mauna Lani Resort Association
- Medical Legal
- Hawaii Health Systems Corporation
- Listed in Best Lawyers®, since 2006
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year, Land Use and Zoning Law, Honolulu, 2016
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Land Use and Zoning, Honolulu, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated, since 1996
- Super Lawyers®, 2008-2012, 2014-2018
- J.D. (1976), William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai‘i
- B.A. (1972), Williams College
- Hawai‘i Preparatory Academy, Kamuela, Hawai‘i (1968)
- Hawai‘i State Bar (1976)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i
- Republic of the Marshall Islands
- Federated States of Micronesia
- United States Supreme Court
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Hawaii State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (President)
- Hawaii Institute of Continuing Legal Education (President)
- William S. Richardson School of Law (Adjunct Professor, Appellate Advocacy: 1980-1986)
- University of Hawai‘i, School of Business, Travel Industry Management (Professor, Hotel Law: 1983-1987)