A professional liability claim can be a watershed moment in the career of a licensed professional, both for the potential financial exposure and impact such claims may have on the professional’s reputation and licensure. Attorneys in the firm’s Professional Liability Group have a wealth of experience in successfully representing doctors, lawyers, accountants, engineers, architects, insurance brokers and agents, real estate professionals, and other licensed professionals against professional liability claims.
In addition to our trial work, we regularly provide counsel to professionals to help avoid or resolve disputes about their services. As professional services have become increasingly specialized and technical, attorneys in our Professional Liability Group are well versed in industry practices and standards to assist our clients.
What We Do
- Medical Malpractice
- Legal Malpractice
- Accountant Liability
- Real Estate Broker/Agent Errors and Omissions Litigation
- Insurance Broker/Agent Errors and Omissions Litigation
- Engineer/Architect Liability
- Disciplinary and Licensing Proceedings brought by Licensing Authorities
- Securities Brokers, Investment Advisors, and Financial Consultants Responsibilities under Federal and State Law
- Regulatory Matters
- Insurance Coverage and Implications Arising from Professional Liability Claims
Our work in the professional liability services area includes representation in licensing, staff privileges, and similar matters before administrative agencies and regulatory boards, such as the Hawai‘i Medical Board and the Hawai‘i Office of Disciplinary Counsel.
Our Professional Liability Group also has significant expertise with errors and omissions insurance coverage, allowing our attorneys to assist the client with insurance issues relating to professional liability claims.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in 2018 in favor of an international law firm and partner in a lawsuit alleging legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty following a five-week jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai‘i.
- Obtained a dismissal of UDAP and other wrongful foreclosure claims asserted against an attorney arising out of a non-judicial foreclosure, resulting in one of the most significant published decisions issued by the Hawai‘i Supreme Court in the last 20 years concerning attorney liability to non-clients. Hungate v. Rosen, 139 Hawai‘i 394, 400, 391 P.3d 1, 7 (2017).
- Successfully defended a national insurance brokerage at trial from negligence claims arising out of the issuance of a realtor’s errors and omissions insurance policy. All Islands Inc. dba Century 21 All Islands v. Partners E&O Insurance Services, Inc., et al., 1CC Civ. No. 13-1-0547-02.
Dennis W. Chong Kee
Trisha L. Nishimoto
Peter W. Olson
Jeffrey S. Portnoy
Kristin S. Shigemura
Roy A. Vitousek III