Cary is the Chair of the Banking and Finance Practice Group, and works closely with his clients to resolve seemingly complex issues towards successful closings. Through his experience and insight, he seeks to complete transactions to the mutual benefit of all parties involved, while continuing to protect his clients.
Cary represents large institutional clients, businesses, and individuals in commercial lending transactions, in their capacities as lender as well as borrower or guarantor.
He has advised Hawai‘i-based lenders for over 30 years, in corporate, commercial, business, construction, and commercial real estate loan documentation, financing structures, participations, syndications, and closings, including real estate advice regarding conveyancing, leasing, and trusts.
- Represented lenders in major project financing for hotels, shopping centers, condominium projects, and subdivisions
- Represented lenders in bond financings for affordable housing projects
- Represented lenders in financings for energy projects including solar and wind
- Represented borrowers in corporate financings with national and Hawai‘i lenders
- Represented borrowers in hotel, shopping center, condominium, and commercial financings
- Represented borrowers in revenue bond financings
- Listed in Chambers & Partners, USA Guide, Hawai‘i Corporate, Commercial: Finance (Band 1), since 2012
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated 5.0 out of 5, since 2005
- J.D. (1979), William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai‘i
- M.A., Economics (1975), Stanford University
- B.A., Economics (1974), Stanford University
- Hawai‘i State Bar (1979)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i
- Hawaii State Bar Association (Real Property and Financial Services Section)
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section, Real Property Trust and Probate Section)
- University of Hawai‘i Law Review (1979) (Member)
- “LIBOR Cessation Basics,” Cades Schutte Corporate Counsel seminar (October 2021) (Co-Presenter)