Nate collaborates with clients to develop creative and cost-effective solutions on complex finance, corporate, real estate, and international legal matters.
Nate is an associate in the Finance, Corporate, and Real Estate Practice Groups at Cades Schutte. He has successfully guided a diverse range of clients, from individuals to multinational corporations, in navigating Hawai‘i’s unique legal environment. Nate also has experience in various industries, including financial and professional services, hospitality, tourism, and healthcare.
Born and raised in Honolulu, Nate received his joint law degrees (J.D. and LL.M.) from Duke University School of Law and his undergraduate degree from Pepperdine University. In law school, he earned the James S. Bidlake Memorial Award in Legal Analysis, Research & Writing and was a Lead Editor on the Alaska Law Review. Nate participated in the Duke in DC program and externed in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Office of General Counsel International Section. He also interned in the Legal Department of the International Finance Corporation (Hong Kong office), a member of the World Bank Group.
At Pepperdine University, Nate was a National Merit Scholar and Regents’ Scholar. He also participated in the inaugural Shanghai, China International Program. After graduating from Pepperdine, he returned to Shanghai to further his Chinese language studies at Fudan University. Nate is proficient in Mandarin and Cantonese. Outside of the office, he enjoys traveling, surfing, and rock climbing.
- Advised and represented lender and developer clients on Hawai‘i’s largest low-income housing tax credit projects
- Advised and represented client on re-organization, re-financing, and structuring of ownership and operation of a luxury hotel, with transaction value of over $300,000,000
- Advised and represented client in a $74,000,000 mezzanine loan for development of a multi-tower hotel, residential and commercial mixed-use project
- Assisted client in disposition of mainland property portfolio estimated at $150,000,000
- Counseled client in workout involving multiple corporate entities of a $24,000,000 real estate development project
- Listed in Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars, since 2021
- Listed in Best Lawyers®, Ones to Watch, since 2022
- Business Law Corps
- LL.M. International and Comparative Law, Duke University School of Law
- J.D., Duke University School of Law
- Chinese Language Certificate, Fudan University
- B.A. Economics, Minor in Asian Studies, Certificate in Conflict Management, Pepperdine University, magna cum laude
- ‘Iolani School, Valedictorian
- Hawai‘i State Bar
- United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- “Low Income Housing Tax Credits: A Successful Form of Affordable Housing Financing,” ke kumu (Fall/Winter 2023) (Co-Author)
- “Opinion on Legal Opinions,” ke kumu (Fall/Winter 2022) (Co-Author)
- Hawai‘i corporate law chapter of “Doing Business in States Other Than the State of Incorporation”, Bloomberg Law (2020) (Co-Author)
- “Electric Industry: Convergence – IOT and the Electric Industry,” ke kumu (Summer 2017) (Co-Author)
- “From One Paradise to Another: A Cross-Cultural Conversation on Traveling from Suzhou to Hawai‘i,” Hawaii Bar Journal (April 2016) (Co-Author)
- Professor Sundra Rajoo’s “CIPAA – 2012 Statistical Report,” Malaysian Society of Adjudicators Newsletter, Issue #4 (July – December 2015) (Co-Translator into Chinese)