Dan counsels clients with matters related to all aspects of trust administration and estate settling, such as preparation and implementation of both revocable and irrevocable estate planning techniques, including intentionally defective grantor trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, and other accompanying documents to ensure a smooth transition between generations.
He assists families and closely held businesses with succession planning, and works closely with our corporate attorneys to create legal entities to own assets which efficiently transfer property from one generation to the next.
Dan has taught estate drafting as an adjunct professor at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law and served as a guest lecturer at UC Hastings and Golden Gate University on estate and gift taxation. Prior to joining Cades, Dan was an associate at Farella Braun + Martel LLP with offices in Saint Helena and San Francisco.
Dan was named as a Rising Star in Estate Planning and Probate by Super Lawyers® for 2017 and 2018. Prior to moving to Hawaii, Dan was also among the North Bay Business Journal’s Forty Under 40 for 2015, named to The Recorder’s list of 50 “Lawyers on the Fast Track” for 2013, and was a recipient of the Outstanding Volunteer Award from the Bar Association of San Francisco’s Volunteer Legal Services Program (2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013).
In his spare time, Dan enjoys playing golf and spending time at the beach with his two sons and wife.
Estate Planning: Advises clients on the preparation and implementation of both revocable and irrevocable estate planning techniques, including:
- Revocable living trusts and wills
- Intentionally defective grantor trusts
- Qualified personal residence trusts
- Irrevocable life insurance trusts
- Grantor retained annuity trusts
Tax planning: Advises individuals and families on:
- Preparation and filing of estate and gift tax returns
- Structuring and implementing business succession planning
- Charitable giving strategies
Trust and Probate Administration: Advises individuals and corporate fiduciaries in all aspects of trust and probate administration. Assists beneficiaries to adequately protect their interests during the administrative process.
Trust and Probate Disputes: Represents both fiduciaries and beneficiaries in trust and probate contested matters, including questions regarding appropriate fiduciary conduct, interpretation of ambiguous documents and disinheritance of children and spouses.
Awards and Honors
- Super Lawyers®, 2017 Rising Stars
- Super Lawyers®, 2018 Rising Stars
- LL.M. (2012), New York University
- J.D. (2009), University of California, Hastings College of the Law, cum laude, tax concentration
- B.A. (2003), University of California, Santa Barbara, High Honors
- California State Bar (2009)
- Hawaii State Bar (2016)
- Hawaii State Bar Association (Probate and Estate Section)
- California State Bar Association (Taxation Section, Trusts and Estates Section)
- Board of Directors for the Hawaii Estate Planning Council (2019)
- Estate Tax: Hawaii, 1/14/2019, Thomson Reuters
- Three Ways to Guard Heirs from Big Wine Realty Tax Bill, 4/28/2016, North Bay Business Journal
- California’s New Transfer on Death Deed, February 2016, Probate/Estate Planning (LSI)
- In Practice: Estates and Taxes After “Windsor”, 10/1/2013, The Recorder
- Is Tax Relief on the Horizon for Same-Sex Couples?, October 2012, Bar Association of San Francisco Bulletin
- Commencement of Proceedings and Information Gathering, 5/14/2019, Estate Administration From Start to Finish (NBI)
- Closing Estates, May 2018, Estate Administration Bootcamp (NBI)
- Estate and Gift Taxation, Guest Lecturer, University of California, Hastings College of the Law and Golden Gate University
- All in the Family: Techniques and Pitfalls to Consider When Transferring Your Vineyards to Your Heirs, 6/16/2016, Napa Valley Grape Growers Series
- Changing the Unchangeable: Why and How to Change an Irrevocable Estate Plan, 11/9/2015, 2015 CPA Workshop Luncheon
- Succession Planning Best Practices: Effectively Transferring a Wine Business to the Next Generation (Napa), 3/25/2015, Wine Industry Education Series
- Succession Planning Best Practices: Effectively Transferring a Wine Business to the Next Generation (Sonoma), 3/24/2015, Wine Industry Education Series
- When Someone Dies (Santa Rosa), 1/21/2015, Wednesdays at Hospice House
- When Someone Dies (Petaluma), 1/14/2015, Wednesdays at Hospice House
- Wills and Revocable Living Trusts, and Annual Exclusion Gifting, December 2014, Top Estate Planning Techniques (NBI)
- Planning for Unmarried and Remarried Couples, December 2013, Estate Planning from A to Z (NBI)
- Estate Drafting, Spring 2013, Adjunct Professor, University of California, Hastings College of the Law
August 11, 2017 - Ke Kumu – Summer 2017
December 30, 2016 - Cades Volunteers at Institute for Human Services