Her practice concentrates on environmental law, lender liability and commercial litigation.
Pat focuses on representation of clients in connection with claims by the State of Hawaii and United States environmental regulatory agencies and on the representation of clients involved in environmental litigation with private parties. Her practice also focuses on the representation of lending institutions that have been sued by borrowers.
- State of Hawaii Environmental Regulatory Agency and OSHA Regulations
- Representation of a member of a Superfund group formed to address the clean-up of the Honolulu Harbor area under the Oil Pollution Act and state environmental laws.
- Representation of private parties in CERCLA and state environmental contribution actions.
- Representation of oil companies in connection with regulatory compliance.
- Representation of clients against the Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act claims.
- Representation of companies in connection with the hazardous waste disposal and storage laws and regulations.
- Environmental Litigation
- Representation of contractors in connection with lead-based paint and asbestos issues.
- Representation of companies in the negotiation of environmental indemnity agreements.
- Lending Institutions
- Representation of companies in the negotiation of environmental insurance policies and obtaining of insurance coverage for environmental claims.
- Representation of banks sued by borrowers based on a large variety of claims, such as claims of invalid and void assignments of mortgages, the failure to properly process loan modification applications, and the alleged invalidity of the MERS system
- Representation of banks in connection with class action based on alleged violations of Hawaii’s non-judicial foreclosure statute
- J.D. (1986), William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii
- M.A. English (1969), University of Wisconsin
- B.A. English (1969), Heidelberg College, magna cum laude
Awards and Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers®, since 2010
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year, Environmental Law, Honolulu, 2019
- Chambers and Partners – 2014 – 2015
- Best Lawyers in America
- Best Lawyers in Hawaii
- Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished® Peer Review Rated, since 1996
- Hawaii State Bar (1986)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawaii
- United States Claims Court
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Hawaii Women Lawyers
- Environmental Considerations in Real Estate Transactions, 2012 Hawaii State Bar Convention
August 15, 2017 - 32 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2018
August 15, 2016 - 28 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2017
August 17, 2015 - 28 Cades Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers of America® 2016