Summer concentrates her practice in the areas of estate planning, probate and trust administration, conservatorship and guardianship proceedings, and trust and estate disputes. She also assists clients with international estate planning issues, including investing in U.S. real property and pre-immigration planning.
An especially important and gratifying part of Summer’s job is to educate clients and distill complex ideas into a readily understandable and user-friendly format. She believes that a successful client relationship is built on listening to the client and finding the right solution to accomplish their individual objectives.
Summer is a former chair of the Hawaii State Bar Association, Elder Law Section, and a current officer of the Hawaii State Bar Association Probate and Estate Planning Section. She is also a member of the Hawaii Estate Planning Council. She regularly speaks to business groups and provides continuing legal education seminars in the areas of probate and estate planning, including emerging laws, such as fiduciary access to digital assets.
Summer obtained her B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and received her law degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Hawaii, William S. Richardson School of Law. While in law school, Summer served as Co-Editor-in-Chief of the University of Hawaii Law Review and was a judicial extern for the Honorable Richard R. Clifton, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Estate Planning: Preparing estate planning documents including wills, revocable trusts, and irrevocable trusts for tax planning, asset protection, and other purposes.
- Tax Planning: Advising individuals and families on estate, gift and income tax planning for a variety of investments, including real property, retirement assets, business interests, and life insurance.
- Probate and Trust Administration: Advising individual and corporate fiduciaries on trust administration, fiduciary income tax reporting and risk management.
- Trusts and Estate Disputes: Representing clients in contested trust and probate proceedings, including breaches of fiduciary duty, disputes as to the validity of documents, and elective share proceedings.
- Conservatorship and Guardianship Proceedings: Representing clients in guardianship and conservatorship proceedings.
- J.D. (2012), William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, summa cum laude, Co-Editor-in-Chief, University of Hawaii Law Review
- B.A. (2006), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Awards and Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers® since 2019
- All courts of the State of Hawaii
- United States District Court for the District of Hawaii
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Elder Law Section, Former Chair
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Probate & Estate Planning Section, Member
- Hawaii Estate Planning Council, Member
- Hawaii State Bar Association and American Bar Association
November 13, 2018 - Cades Schutte New Partners Admissions
November 15, 2017 - Summer Shelverton to Speak at “Top 6 Probate Problems and How to Solve Them”
December 30, 2016 - Cades Volunteers at Institute for Human Services
December 13, 2016 - Ke Kumu – Winter 2016
November 1, 2013 - Cades volunteers with The Institute for Human Services Meal Program