He earned his law degree cum laude from the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa, William S. Richardson School of Law, where he was a member of the law review and national environmental law moot court team. He received a number of academic awards and wrote three law review articles. Following law school, Chris clerked for Associate Justice Steven H. Levinson of the Supreme Court of Hawai‘i and Senior Judge Alan C. Kay of the United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i.
Chris has argued before the Supreme Court of Hawai‘i and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. He has served as the Chair of the Appellate Section of the Hawai‘i State Bar Association and as a lecturer in law at the Richardson School of Law, teaching a first-year appellate advocacy course.
In his free time, Chris practices Kendo (Japanese fencing) and has competed three times at the World Kendo Championships.
Commercial and Real Estate Litigation
- Litigation in state court defending development permit challenged based on archeological and constitutional issues.
- Litigation in state court defending special use permit challenged based on compliance with prior permit conditions and constitutional issues.
- Litigation in state court representing commercial landlords in breach of lease cases.
Insurance Defense and Professional Liability
- Coverage opinions for insurers and insureds on CGL, E&O, and automobile insurance policies.
- Litigation in state court and related arbitration defending insurer against third-party bad faith claim based on investigation of claim.
- Litigation in state court representing insurer in declaratory judgment and reimbursement action.
- Litigation in state and federal courts defending law firms against claims challenging procedures in non-judicial foreclosure proceedings.
- Contributing brief author in Hart v. TICOR Title Insurance Co., 126 Hawai‘i 448, 272 P.3d 1215 (2012). The Hawai‘i Supreme Court held that the insurer had improperly refused to defend the insured in litigation.
- Contributing brief author in Amina v. WMC Mortgage Corp., 554 F. App’x 555 (9th Cir. 2014). The Ninth Circuit upheld the district court’s dismissal of the mortgagor’s claims for failure to prosecute.
- Contributing brief author in Burlington Insurance Co. v. Panacorp, Inc., 758 F, Supp. 2d 1121 (D. Haw. 2011). The district court stayed insurance litigation pending outcome of related case filed in state court pursuant to abstention doctrine.
- J.D. (2006), University of Hawai‘i, William S. Richardson School of Law, cum laude
- B.A., University of Hawai‘i, Shidler College of Business, with distinction
Awards and Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers® since 2020
- Pacific Century Fellows, Class of 2019 – 2020
- Pacific Business News “Forty Under 40” Class of 2017
- Super Lawyers® Rising Stars 2016
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association 2016 Leadership Institute Fellow
- Bernard Levinson Memorial Award for the outstanding constitutional law paper in Second-Year Seminar
- Best Oralist Award in Appellate Advocacy
- CALI Excellence for the Future Awards for earning the highest grades in Real Property I, Appellate Advocacy, Advanced Torts and Insurance Law, and Evidence
- Hawai‘i State Bar (2006)
- Hawai‘i State Courts
- United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Christopher T. Goodin, Comment, Dolan v. City of Tigard and the Distinction Between Administrative and Legislative Exactions: “A Distinction Without A Constitutional Difference,” 28 U. Haw. L. Rev. 139 (2005)
- David L. Callies & Christopher T. Goodin, The Status of Nollan v. California Coastal Commission and Dolan v. City of Tigard After Lingle v. Chevron U.S.A., Inc., 40 J. Marshall L. Rev. 539 (2007)
- Christopher T. Goodin, The Role and Content of the Character of the Governmental Action Factor in a Partial Regulatory Takings Analysis, 29 U. Haw. L. Rev. 437 (2007), reprinted in 2008 Zoning and Planning Law Handbook 219 (Patricia E. Salkin & William D. Bremer eds., 2008)
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association’s Federal Appellate Practice Manual (2013), Chapter on Attorneys’ Fees and Costs
August 20, 2020 - 39 Cades Schutte LLP Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers® List
November 16, 2016 - Hawaii Access to Justice Celebrates Pro Bono Work
April 19, 2016 - Christopher Goodin Selected a 2016 HSBA Leadership Institute Fellow