Prior to joining Cades Schutte, Michi served as a law clerk to Associate Justice Richard W. Pollack of the Hawaii Supreme Court from August 2012 – December 2013. She was recently selected by the HSBA to be a fellow in the HSBA’s Leadership Institute and is currently serving a two-year term as a director on the board of Hawaii Women Lawyers. She previously served for two years on the board of the HSBA’s Appellate Section.
Michi received her law degree, summa cum laude, from the William S. Richardson School of Law in 2012. As a law student, she was the Outside Articles Editor on the Law Review and a member of the Philip C. Jessup International Law moot court team, which advanced to the international rounds in 2012. She also served as a judicial extern to Associate Justice Simeon R. Acoba, Jr. of the Hawaii Supreme Court.
During law school she received the CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Civil Procedure I, Evidence, Federal Courts, Legal Practice II, Race, Culture & Law, and Health Law, as well as the Michael P. Porter Dean’s Scholastic Award.
Prior to law school, Michi obtained her Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service, cum laude, from Georgetown University in 2008.
Awards and Honors
- 2017 Fellow in the HSBA’s 9th Annual Leadership Institute
- Michael P. Porter Dean’s Scholastic Award (2010)
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Civil Procedure I; Evidence; Federal Courts; Legal Practice II; Race, Culture & Law; Health law: Bioethics
- Juris Doctor (2012), William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii at Manoa, summa cum laude
- Bachelor of Science (2008), Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University, cum laude
- Hawaii State Bar (2012)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawaii
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Director, Hawaii Women Lawyers
- Board Member, HSBA Appellate Section (2015-2016)
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Assisted with litigation in administrative hearings and Circuit Court confirmation proceedings that resulted in securing a $331 million contract award in a bid protest involving the construction of roadway improvements and a consolidated car rental facility at Kahului Airport on Maui
- Assisted with litigation in state court representing a large general contractor in a $30 million dispute over a bioenergy project on the Island of Hawaii
- Assisted with litigation in state and federal trial courts, the Intermediate Court of Appeals, and the Hawaii Supreme Court, defending law firms against UDAP claims challenging procedures in non-judicial foreclosure proceedings
October 21, 2015 - Cades Obtains Order Affirming $331M Construction Contract