Prior to joining Cades Schutte, Pōhai served as a law clerk for Chief Justice Mark E. Recktenwald of the Hawai‘i Supreme Court, and the Honorable Gary W.B. Chang of the Circuit Court of the First Circuit, State of Hawai‘i.
Pōhai earned her law degree from the William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai‘i, cum laude, while also concurrently receiving a Native Hawaiian Language Certificate. She served as Co-Editor-in-Chief of the University of Hawai‘i Law Review, and received various scholarships and awards, including the Aimee and Ronald H.W. Lum, Jr. Law Review Editor(s)-in-Chief Scholarship, and the CALI Excellence for the Future Award for the highest grade in Federal Indian Law. Pōhai also served as a judicial extern to Associate Justice Sabrina S. McKenna of the Hawai‘i Supreme Court, and the Honorable Dexter D. Del Rosario (retired) of the Circuit Court of the First Circuit, State of Hawai‘i.
Pōhai earned her undergraduate degree from Winthrop University, graduating as class valedictorian. She also captained Winthrop’s Division I women’s volleyball team, and received numerous athletic and academic accolades as a student athlete. After graduating from Winthrop, she returned to home to Honolulu, and taught at Kamehameha Schools for four years before returning to law school.
Pōhai is proficient in Hawaiian language, and is an avid hula dancer who has participated in the Merrie Monarch Festival several times.
- Hawai‘i State Bar (2015)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i (2015)
- J.D. (2015), William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai‘i, cum laude
- B.S. (2008), Winthrop University, summa cum laude
- Punahou School (2005)
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association (2015)
- Hawai’i Nature Center, Board Member
- Hawai’i Women Lawyers, Board Member
- Hawai’i State Bar Association, Elder Law Section, Board Member/Secretary
- Hālau Ka Liko Pua o Kalaniākea
Awards and Honors
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for the highest grade in Federal Indian Law
- Listed in Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch since 2021
August 20, 2020 - 39 Cades Schutte LLP Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers® List
December 12, 2017 - Cades Helps Ready Kahauiki Village
October 2, 2017 - Cades Schutte Welcomes Pōhai Nuʻuhiwa Campbell to the Firm