Prior to joining Cades Schutte, Ryan practiced in the areas of business reorganization, bankruptcy, corporate and business law, and commercial litigation at a medium-sized law firm in Honolulu, and also at a bankruptcy law firm in San Diego.
Ryan is a member of the Hawai‘i State Bar and the California State Bar. Ryan is actively involved in various legal and community organizations, and is a co-chair of the Hawai‘i State Bar Association Civic Education Committee and an editor of the Hawai‘i Bar Journal. He previously served as the Vice President of the Hawai‘i Bankruptcy Bar Association and as a director of the Hawai‘i State Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division. In 2016, Ryan was selected to serve a three-year term as a lawyer representative for the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference.
Born and raised in Honolulu, Ryan is a graduate of Iolani School. He received his Bachelor of Business Administration with a concentration in International Business from Gonzaga University, and his Juris Doctorate from the University of San Diego School of Law.
- Represented large secured lenders in Chapter 11 hotel bankruptcy proceedings.
- Represented clients involving the multi-million dollar sale of businesses and assets.
- Represented defendants at trial in a fraudulent transfer adversary proceeding (Bankruptcy Court).
- Represented the interests of secured lenders, financial institutions, and insurers in various state court and federal court proceedings.
- Represented landlords and tenants in connection with leasing of shopping centers and office space.
- Represented debtors in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy proceedings.
- J.D. (2010), University of San Diego, School of Law
- B.B.A. (2007), Gonzaga University
Awards and Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch since 2021
- Listed in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars since 2017
- Hawai‘i State Bar (2011)
- California State Bar (2010) (Inactive)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i (2011)
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California (2010)
- United States District Court for the Central District of California (2011)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California (2011)
- Hawai‘i State Bar (2011)
- California State Bar (2010)
- Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, Lawyer Representative (2017 – Present)
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association, Civic Education Committee, Co-Chair (2015 – Present)
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association, Publications Committee, Editor (2015 – Present)
- Hawai‘i Bankruptcy Bar Association, Director (2014 – 2015); Vice President (2015
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Director (2013 – 2014)
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association, Strategic Planning Committee, Member (2013)
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association, Delivery of Legal Services to the Public, Member (2013)
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association, Member Benefits Committee, Member (2013)
- Court Annexed Arbitration Program
- Legal Lines
- Lawyers in the Schools
- Pro bono legal information clinics
- 2013 Hawai‘i Collection & Bankruptcy Law Manual (4th Ed.), Contributor
- Hawai‘i State Bar Association 2014 Bar Convention & Annual Meeting, Panelist, “Avoiding Ethical and Malpractice Pitfalls” (2014)
- Kapiolani Community College, Legal Documentation Preparation Class, Guest Lecturer (Fall 2013 and Fall 2014)
August 20, 2020 - 39 Cades Schutte LLP Lawyers Named to 2021 Best Lawyers® List
December 12, 2017 - Cades Helps Ready Kahauiki Village
November 21, 2017 - Cades Schutte Featured in ‘Iolani School’s Report of Giving 2016-17
March 1, 2017 - Cades Schutte Welcomes Ryan M. Hamaguchi to the Firm