Chris regularly represents clients ranging from large institutions to individuals in purchase and sale transactions, title and entitlement due diligence, real estate development and construction documentation, financing, and commercial leasing.
He previously practiced in the Tokyo office of a large international law firm, where he focused on complex cross-border investment in Japanese real estate. He often represents Japanese clients and is proficient in spoken and written Japanese.
- Representing landowner in negotiating and drafting transaction documentation for multiple complex residential and mixed-use development projects in the Honolulu urban core area.
- Representing landowner in negotiating and drafting transaction documents for the largest solar energy project in the State of Hawaii.
- Representing educational institution in connection with development of community outreach facilities on Oahu.
- Representing a developer in negotiating and documenting acquisition, condominium, construction, joint development and leasing documentation for the development of a shopping mall on Oahu.
- Representing a developer in negotiating and documenting the development, construction, and financing of a planned community on Hawai‘ian Home Lands.
- Representing a developer in negotiating and documenting a joint venture for development of a shopping mall in Japan.
- Representing local and foreign parties in providing mezzanine financing for development of a luxury residential condominium project in Honolulu.
- Representing a national bank in developing its financing forms for the State of Hawaii.
- Representing various Japanese banks in the sale of loans secured by various hotel properties in Hawaii.
- Representing a U.S. private investment bank sponsor in structuring and documenting a $125 million offshore fund investing in Japanese real estate.
- Representing a U.S. REIT in obtaining a JPY 25 billion line of credit to acquire and develop projects in Japan.
Purchase and Sale Transactions
- Representing the purchaser of a shopping mall on Oahu.
- Representing landowner in sale of undeveloped tracts of property on the Island of Hawaii for development.
- Representing a large Hawaii real estate investment company in acquisitions of numerous existing and development properties on the islands of Oahu, Maui, and Kauai.
- Representing a NYSE listed industrial products company in the acquisition of its Japan subsidiary through a purchase of outstanding stock from joint venture partners.
- Representing a large Singaporean investment entity in due diligence on a retail property acquisition in Japan.
- Representing a real estate investment company in concluding a strategic alliance with a U.S. REIT for acquisition of industrial properties in Japan.
- Representing a U.S. REIT in its acquisitions of approximately 50 acres of properties in Japanese metropolitan areas for development of over 3.5 million square feet of distribution facilities.
- Representing a NYSE listed software company in restructuring its exclusive distribution arrangement with its Japanese distributor, involving the company’s acquisition of the distributor’s division that handled the company’s products.
- Representing landowner in negotiating and documenting ground lease to large national “big-box” retailer.
- Representing owner of office buildings throughout the State of Hawaii in preparing office leases.
- J.D., University of Washington (with honors)
- Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies (Stanford Center)
- A.B., Princeton University, summa cum laude
- Hawaii State Bar (1995)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawaii
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- Board Member, Real Property & Financial Services Section, Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Japan-America Society of Hawaii
- Notes, Guaranties and Letter of Credit, Vol. III Ch. 3, Hawaii Real Estate Law Manual (2011)
- Documents for Lease to Fee Conversion, Hawaii Conveyance Manual, 5th Edition (2010)
August 21, 2018 - The Best Lawyers in America® 2019 Recognizes 33 Cades Schutte Attorneys
August 15, 2017 - 32 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2018
December 13, 2016 - Ke Kumu – Winter 2016
August 15, 2016 - 28 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2017
August 17, 2015 - 28 Cades Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers of America® 2016