Nate is an associate in the Real Estate, Corporate, Energy, Finance, and International Practice Groups at Cades Schutte. He has successfully guided a diverse range of clients, from individuals to multinational corporations, in navigating Hawaii’s unique legal environment.
Born and raised in Honolulu, Nate received his joint law degrees (J.D. and LL.M.) from Duke University School of Law and his undergraduate degree from Pepperdine University. In law school, he earned the James S. Bidlake Memorial Award in Legal Analysis, Research & Writing and was a Lead Editor on the Alaska Law Review. Nate participated in the Duke in DC program and externed in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Office of General Counsel International Section. He also interned in the Legal Department of the International Finance Corporation (Hong Kong office), a member of the World Bank Group.
At Pepperdine University, Nate was a National Merit Scholar and Regents’ Scholar. He also participated in the inaugural Shanghai, China International Program. After graduating from Pepperdine, he returned to Shanghai to further his Chinese language studies at Fudan University. Nate is fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese. Outside of the office, he enjoys traveling, surfing, and rock climbing.
- Advised and represented clients on multi-million dollar financing arrangements.
- Participated in workout involving multiple corporate entities of a $24+ million real estate development project.
- Collaborated with government agency to design and implement comprehensive process allowing agency to evaluate legal and legislative developments and protect its vital interests.
- Assisted clients from various industries in successfully navigating proceedings before the Public Utilities Commission.
- Drafted United States papers for submission to Arctic Council working group on Arctic marine tourism regulation, and shipping incidents and fuel oil discharges in Arctic waters.
- LL.M. International and Comparative Law (2015), Duke University School of Law
- J.D. (2015), Duke University School of Law
- Chinese Language Certificate (2012), Fudan University
- B.A. Economics, Minor in Asian Studies, Certificate in Conflict Management (2011), Pepperdine University, magna cum laude
- Iolani School (2007), Valedictorian
- Hawaii State Bar (2015)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawaii (2015)
- Hawaii State Bar Association (2015)
- American Bar Association (2012)
- Co-translator into Chinese, Professor Sundra Rajoo’s “CIPAA – 2012 Statistical Report”, Malaysian Society of Adjudicators Newsletter, Issue #4 July – December 2015.
- Co-author, “From One Paradise to Another: A Cross-Cultural Conversation on Traveling from Suzhou to Hawaii,” Hawaii Bar Journal, April 2016
November 21, 2017 - Cades Schutte Featured in ‘Iolani School’s Report of Giving 2016-17
August 11, 2017 - Ke Kumu – Summer 2017
June 27, 2017 - Electric Industry: Convergence – IoT and the Electric Industry
October 16, 2015 - Cades Welcomes Three New Associates