Marc’s intuition for deal dynamics, business pragmatism, and detailed knowledge of Hawai‘i corporate law helps provide clarity for his clients, allowing them to make sound decisions and move forward with confidence on highly complex transactions.
For over 26 years, Marc has practiced law in Hawai‘i with a strong focus on business law and litigation including: corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, public utilities regulation, securities, and immigration. He brings his multi-discipline knowledge and expertise to advise clients towards personalized entity selection and formations, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, and equity investments, often involving multiple jurisdictions.
His specialty and skills in the field of corporate governance, he is able to provide corporations—both public and private—with general corporate advice, guidance on preventing and dealing with potential litigation and is particularly noted for his in-depth knowledge of fiduciary duties and business law. Always acting in the best interests of his clients, he will often lead the engagement team on complex cases involving the client’s tax and financial advisors leading to the best solutions and outcomes.
Marc has earned this reputation because of his commitment to business pragmatism and transparency to his client relationships. He also brings a deep knowledge of Hawai‘i’s complex corporate law and is able to provide clarity and guidance to his clients, allowing them to make sound decisions with confidence to successful conclusions on highly complex transactions.
He has a solid resume of cases in working with domestic and international companies on a wide range of matters relating to Hawai‘i corporate law, providing practical solutions on different issues. He is also able to support clients who are unfamiliar with the Hawai‘i market.
With a well-earned reputation for honest and fair representation, Marc has also been asked to advise a number of leading investors and financial institutions, guiding them through major merger and acquisition transactions in Hawai‘i.
Representing clients across a broad array of business sectors, including some of the most important industries in the Pacific region, Marc has recently represented clients in the aviation, engineering, financial services, energy, petroleum, retail, food, real estate development, software, and telecommunications industries.
Marc has been named by Chambers & Partners USA Guides since 2018 as one of America’s leading lawyers in the Corporate/Commercial practice area. He is recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America® in the practice areas of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Corporate Law, Litigation – Mergers and Acquisitions, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, and Securities / Capital Markets Law, and has been named the Honolulu “Lawyer of the Year” in Mergers and Acquisitions Law in both 2022 and 2015 and in Business Organizations Law (including LLCs & Partnerships) in 2017.
Marc’s depth of knowledge, tremendous experience, and personal integrity has given him the well-deserved respect and glowing reputation among peers, other professionals, and clients.
Marc served on the Firm’s Management Committee from 2008 to 2021, and is a past Chairperson of the Hawai‘i State Bar Association’s Business Law Section.
In his personal life, Marc is a proud member of the Board of Directors of the Boy Scouts of America, Aloha Council. He is also a volunteer attorney for the State of Hawai‘i Business Action Center providing pro bono legal advice on business matters to members of the public.
Marc also volunteer teaches at Punahou School by teaching the Business Organizations and Society class to Junior and Senior high school students.
- Representation of major airline in contract drafting and review
- Representation of various petroleum industry members in mergers and acquisitions and related business transactions
- Representation of high technology businesses involved in bio-science, telecommunication, and alternative energy industries
- Representation of medical service providers in mergers & acquisitions and regulatory compliance
- Representation of contractors in licensing, contract preparation, and entity formation matters
- Representation of software licensors
- Representation of real property developers in joint venture formation, capital deployment, and administration
- Listed in Chambers & Partners, USA Guide, since 2018
- Listed by IFLR1000 as Highly Regarded in Corporate and M&A, since 2019
- Listed in Super Lawyers®, since 2020
- Listed in Best Lawyers®, since 2011
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year, Business Organizations Law (including LLCs & Partnerships), Honolulu, 2017
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Honolulu, 2015 and 2022
- Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished® Peer Review Rated, since 2004
- J.D. (1994), University of Akron School of Law, summa cum laude
- M.B.A. (1994), University of Akron
- BsBA (1990), University of Denver, cum laude
- Hawai‘i State Bar (1994)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i (1994)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1994)
- Washington State Bar (2006)
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Volunteer Attorney for State of Hawai‘i Business Action Center
- Boy Scouts of America, Aloha Council