For over 23 years, Marc has practiced law in Hawaii with a strong focus on business law and litigation including: corporate law, mergers and acquisitions, public utilities regulation, securities, and immigration. He brings his multi-discipline knowledge and expertise to advise clients towards personalized entity selection and formations, mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, and equity investments, often involving multiple jurisdictions.
His specialty and skills in the field of corporate governance, he is able to provide corporations—both public and private—with general corporate advice, guidance on preventing and dealing with potential litigation and is particularly noted for his in-depth knowledge of fiduciary duties and business law. Always acting in the best interests of his clients, he will often lead the engagement team on complex cases involving the client’s tax and financial advisors leading to the best solutions and outcomes.
Marc has earned this reputation because of his commitment to business pragmatism and transparency to his client relationships. He also brings a deep knowledge of Hawai‘i’s complex corporate law and is able to provide clarity and guidance to his clients, allowing them to make sound decisions with confidence to successful conclusions on highly complex transactions.
He has a solid resume of cases in working with domestic and international companies on a wide range of matters relating to Hawai‘i corporate law, providing practical solutions on different issues. He is also able to support clients who are unfamiliar with the Hawai‘i market.
With a well-earned reputation for honest and fair representation, Marc has also been asked to advise a number of leading investors and financial institutions, guiding them through major merger and acquisition transactions in Hawaii.
Representing clients across a broad array of business sectors, including some of the most important industries in the Pacific region, Marc has recently represented clients in the aviation, engineering, financial services, energy, petroleum, retail, food, real estate development, software and telecommunications industries.
Marc has been previously listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance, and has been named by Chambers & Partners USA in 2013 as one of America’s leading lawyers in the Corporate/Commercial practice area. For 2014-2015 21st edition of Best Lawyers in America, he has been named a Best Lawyer in America in the practice areas of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships) and Mergers and Acquisitions Law, and has been named the Honolulu Mergers and Acquisitions Law “Lawyer of the Year.” In its 2017 edition, Best Lawyers in America named Marc as a Best Lawyer in three categories (i) Corporate Law, (ii) Mergers & Acquisitions Law, and (iii) Securities / Capital Markets Law, as well as naming him for a second time as “Lawyer of the Year” for the Honolulu market in a fourth category of Business Organizations Law (including LLCs & Partnerships).
Marc’s depth of knowledge, tremendous experience, and personal integrity has given him the well-deserved respect and glowing reputation among peers, other professionals and clients.
Marc has served on the Firm’s Management Committee since 2008, and is a past Chairperson of the Hawaii State Bar Association’s Business Law Section.
In his personal life, Marc is a proud member of the Board of Directors of the Boy Scouts of America, Aloha Council. He is also a volunteer attorney for the State of Hawaii Business Action Center providing pro bono legal advice on business matters to members of the public.
Marc also volunteer teaches at Punahou School by teaching the Business Organizations and Society class to Junior and Senior high school students.
- Representation of major airline in contract drafting and review.
- Representation of various petroleum industry members in mergers and acquisitions and related business transactions.
- Representation of high technology businesses involved in bio-science, telecommunication and alternative energy industries.
- Representation of medical service providers in mergers & acquisitions and regulatory compliance.
- Representation of contractors in licensing, contract preparation, and entity formation matters.
- Representation of software licensors.
- Representation of real property developers in joint venture formation, capital deployment, and administration.
- J.D. (1994), University of Akron School of Law, summa cum laude
- M.B.A. (1994), University of Akron
- BsBA (1990), University of Denver, cum laude
Awards and Honors
- Listed in Best Lawyers® since 2011
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year for 2017 – Business Organizations Law (including LLCs & Partnerships)
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year for 2015 – Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Chambers USA, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished® Peer Review Rated, 2019
- Hawaii State Bar (1994)
- United States District Court for the District of Hawaii (1994)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1994)
- Washington State Bar (2006)
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Volunteer Attorney for State of Hawaii Business Action Center
- Boy Scouts of America, Aloha Council
September 21, 2017 - Cades Partners to Speak on Family Business Succession Planning
August 15, 2017 - 32 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2018
August 15, 2016 - 28 Cades Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers of America® 2017
September 2, 2015 - Marc Rousseau to Speak on HBM’s Panel on Succession Planning
August 17, 2015 - 28 Cades Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers of America® 2016
November 22, 2013 - Cades Schutte is a proud Sponsor of Hanahau`oli Golf Day
November 1, 2013 - Cades volunteers with The Institute for Human Services Meal Program