HONOLULU (January 2021)–Cades Schutte LLP announced the promotion of five new lawyers to its partnership in the firm’s Honolulu and Līhuʻe offices, effective January 1, 2021: Trisha H.S.T. Akagi, Michi Momose, Lisa K. Swartzfager, Mauna Kea Trask, and Daniel C. Vermillion.
“Cades Schutte has continued to move forward during these challenging times,” said Marc E. Rousseau of the firm’s Management Committee. “Our accomplishments and successes are a testament to every member of the firm, including our newly admitted partners, and their dedication to providing our clients with the best legal services available in Hawai‘i. We are excited to welcome our talented colleagues into the partnership as we continue working together as one.”
The following is a list of Cades Schutte’s new partners:
- Trisha H.S.T. Akagi is based in the firm’s Honolulu office and a member of the Litigation Department. Her practice includes bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, commercial and real estate litigation, and water rights law. She earned her law degree, summa cum laude, from William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawai‘i, her B.A. in Business Administration from Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California, and her Japan-Focused E.M.B.A. from Shidler College of Business, University of Hawai‘i at Manoa.
- Michi Momose is based in the firm’s Honolulu office and a member of the Litigation Department. Michi’s practice broadly encompasses commercial, business, and real estate litigation, and includes the representation of financial institutions and schools in a wide variety of matters. Michi is currently the President of Hawai‘i Women Lawyers, a non-profit organization committed to improving the lives and careers of women in the legal profession and promoting equal opportunities for all people. Michi received her law degree, summa cum laude, from the William S. Richardson School of Law, and received her bachelor’s degree, cum laude, from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service. Michi has been listed in Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch since 2021.
- Lisa K. Swartzfager is based in the firm’s Honolulu office and a member of the Litigation Department. Lisa has extensive experience in complex civil litigation matters at the trial and appellate level, and has represented clients in litigation involving construction, real estate, and insurance disputes. She obtained her J.D. with highest honors from The George Washington University Law School and B.S., magna cum laude, in Accounting with a Minor in Economics from Birmingham-Southern College. Lisa has been listed in Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch since 2021.
- Mauna Kea Trask is based in the firm’s Līhuʻe office and practices in the areas of Environmental Law and Litigation, Land Use, Zoning, and Entitlements. Born on Oahu and raised on Kauaʻi, Mauna Kea is a graduate of Kamehameha School and a fourth-generation attorney. He obtained his J.D. from the William S. Richardson School of Law and B.S. in Anthropology from Oregon State University with honors. Mauna Kea was previously recognized in Hawaii Business Magazine’s 20 for the Next 20: People to Watch.
- Daniel C. Vermillion is based in the firm’s Honolulu office and a member of the Estate Planning, Trust Administration, and Probate Department. With expertise in complex tax planning techniques, Dan leverages strategies that efficiently shift wealth between generations while minimizing tax burdens for individuals and businesses. Dan obtained his LL.M. from New York University, J.D., cum laude, with a concentration in tax from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, and B.A. with High Honors from the University of California, Santa Barbara. Dan has taught estate drafting as an adjunct professor at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law and served as a guest lecturer at UC Hastings and Golden Gate University on estate and gift taxation. Dan has been listed in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars since 2017 and Best Lawyers® since 2021.
The promotions of these partners are part of the firm’s continued growth. Cades Schutte also welcomed one new of counsel, Lindsay McAneeley, and three new associates, Michael L. Hoke, Molly A. Olds, and Troy Young, to the firm at the end of 2020.
About Cades Schutte LLP
Cades Schutte is a full-service law firm with over 70 attorneys, providing superior service in over 20 practice areas from the Firm’s main office in Honolulu and offices in Kona, Waimea, Kahului, and Līhuʻe. Since the Firm was founded in 1922, Cades Schutte attorneys have been called on to serve as counsel in some of the most notable cases and transactions in the State of Hawai‘i.
Cades Schutte offers a wide range of corporate and personal legal services with an emphasis on business counseling. The Firm is proud to serve local, national, and international clients, and regularly handles estate planning, tax, and personal litigation matters.
Cades Schutte is organized into five departments—Corporate, Finance and Real Estate, Litigation, Tax, and Trusts and Estates—but departmental lines are fluid. Cades Schutte attorneys from different departments routinely collaborate on projects to benefit clients. This approach provides a full array of the Firm’s expertise and experience.
Utilizing a ‘firm first’ mentality, the firm has adopted a democratic style of management in which the strategic direction and vision for the firm is developed by its partners, and headed up by its Management Committee. Together, this Committee serves as the Firm’s key visionary, and is specifically charged with implementing the direction and mission of the stakeholders.
Marketing & Business Development Manager