Annually, the federal government issues, grants, and pays contractors working in Hawai‘i billions of dollars, and state and county departments and agencies pay local contractors several billion dollars on top of this. The size and complexity of this market requires a practical understanding of the relevant statutes and regulations, roles, and operations of the contracting agencies, and compliance pitfalls and best practices.
Our Government Contracts Group brings this understanding to our clients, based on our experience representing contractors of all sizes in all phases of the procurement process. Lawyers in our Government Contracts Group draw on the regional and substantive reach of practitioners across the firm in complementary areas such as state and local procurement law, labor and employment law, and construction law.
What We Do
- Litigation, Bid Protests, and Dispute Resolution
- Compliance Counseling
- Contractor Licensing
- Corporate Transactions Involving Government Contractors
- Suspension and Debarment
- Bid and Proposal Review and Advice
- Complex State and Local Procurements including Private Public Partnership (P3) Procurements
- Davis Bacon Act and State Mini-Davis Bacon Act Compliance
- Project Labor Agreements
The Government Contracts Group helps clients identify, mitigate, and eliminate the contractual, civil, and criminal risks of doing business with the government, and when necessary defend or enforce client interests so that they can achieve their business objectives.
- Representation of an international company in connection with a P3 procurement issued by the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) in connection with the final phase of the Honolulu Rail Project.
- Representation of an international company in connection with a P3 procurement issued by the State of Hawai‘i in connection with the redevelopment of the Aloha Stadium complex in Honolulu.
- Representation of the winning bidder in a bid protest involving a $327 million Maui airport contract.
- Representation of a subcontractor against a general contractor on a federal project which resulted in an award of $1.26 million in favor of the client and successful collection of the award from the general contractor’s surety.
- Representation of the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. in connection with negotiation and administration of a Project Labor Agreement for the Daniel K. Inouye Solar Telescope at the summit of Haleakalā on the island of Maui, Hawai‘i.
- Representation of the bid protestor in connection with the State of Hawai‘i, Department of Transportation’s rejection of its bid on the maintenance contract for the flight information display system for the Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport.